Pneubotics is looking for strong candidates to help build the world’s first soft robotic arms. We have reimagined robots from the ground up to produce soft machines that are stronger, safer, and more efficient in construction and operation than ever before. We are now building the core team that will help our robots take their first steps into the world.
Pneubotics is an Otherlab company based in the Mission district in San Francisco. We offer a vibrant environment, competitive benefits, and the chance to help guide the direction of a new company. As we grow our small, tight-knit team we are looking to hire people that have an appetite for solving hard problems. If you have a background in creating sophisticated machines or building a company and have a strong desire to tread into the unknown, we would like to hear from you.
We are looking for a natural controls engineer to help teach our compliant robots to interact with the world around them. As part of the controls team you will help define a new standard in manipulation where robots seek out and take advantage of contact as opposed to avoiding it. In order to develop effective control laws, this person will need to analyze and understand messy non-linear systems and produce simple (but not too simple) models that describe their behavior. Primary responsibilities include developing and implementing control algorithms in software, integrating new sensing/state estimation methods, and bringing up/debugging new systems.
The problems we are solving are complex and require someone who can work fluidly in a small team. The right candidate will have a good foundation in the following.
- BS in mechanical engineering or similar field with at least four years
- Strong background in classical and modern controls
- Ability to speak physics fluently
- Proficiency in computer programming
- Willingness to tackle difficult problems and take on a bit more
responsibility than they?d really like
- MS or above in mechanical engineering, computer science, robotics, or
- Demonstrated ability to control physical systems
- Hands on experience writing software to control physical systems
- Has worked in C++, Python, Linux, and ROS
- Familiarity with embedded systems, communication protocols, and developing
Motion planning or computer vision experience a big plus
Comfortable with linear algebra, robot kinematics, representations of 3D rotations
If interested, please email a resume and brief description of yourself to